Archive for November, 2010
Still typing and posting via my phone so unfortunately this will be much shorter than I want it to be and what I have in my head.
But just a few key points.
Best quote on what should have taken place re: White House reaction?
If you publish any more material we will hunt you down no matter the cost, and you either will be killed while resisting arrest or you will spend the rest of your lives in solitary confinement in a Supermax prison, where the highlight of your day will be 1 hour spent in a cage instead of your cell. Don’t look up, that sound of propellers in the air is not a Predator drone.
Here’s my biggest issue that I would really love to get in to but a tiny keyboard prevents me from: When Wiki Leaks released their first salvo back in October there was some outrage, but the our government rolled over and played dead.
Now that heaven forbid the diplomats, politicians and other government civilian types are ousted the State Department is up in arms and launches a investigation.
So effectively what your saying is soldiers lives don’t matter: but government bureaucrats are sacred. When you knew a month ago that the Wikileaks crew were going to do so again and you took no action save for a sternly worded letter.
This administration effectively disgusts me.
Ok so my home Internet is still down. Fortunately I have some posting ability at work.
Here’s the scoop as it were.
For the last year I have had HughesNet. I have a download limit of 350 Meg every 24 hours. I exceed that, either via E-mail, video, downloading, or what have you and they knock me to “dial up comparable”
It was supposed to be 1.5 meg down. I never came close to seeing that speed. But I will admit what I had was better than dial up. Credit where credit is due. However the Turbo gateway constantly went down, we experienced outages in all sorts of weather, and several network related outages as well.
But this past weekend it went out. And when my Dish Network came back, the Internet didn’t.
So I called’em up, to figure out what was going on.
Right about here is where the bobsled to hell started.
They wanted to charge me $150 to come out just to find out what was wrong with my system. Seems they could not figure out what it was over the phone, and all of the fancy lights that they have in the modem wasn’t telling them anything.
I was paying almost $90 a month for the last year for this service.
In any other ISP broadband, DSL, cable, etc. folks will come out and trouble shoot your system and it is all part of the plan. I worked for AT&T and I worked on U-verse. I know how that goes. Unless the customer lit the modem on fire and used it for polo practice, we fixed it. Customer abuse versus wear and tear of faulty equipment, all understandable. Not so here.
Here we have absolute disregard for keeping a customer, just a desire to sell their equipment with a massive start up cost, a installation charge that warranties nothing and no maintenance of any form save yourself.
So after over an hour of arguing with a tech support rep who tried to tell me there was no way to test coax (It was at this point I asked for a supervisor) I was told that it didn’t matter what I did or said, the only thing HughesNet was willing to do is give me 30 days free. Which means I would still be out $50 for the repair.
By this time I confess I was hoping mad. Between being treated like an idiot (TSR: “Sir, I don’t know who you were working for before but there no way to test the integrity of Coaxial cable.” Me: “Your joking right? How do you think Cell towers work?” TSR: “Uhm……”) and finding out that absolutely none of my equipment or installation was covered in my obscene cost per month with the ridiculous amount of restrictions: I canceled the service.
I was then sent to a CSR who tried to convince me to stay with them, and who told me if i canceled I would be subjected to a $79.99 fee for disconnection. (Me: “Let me get this straight, your going to charge me $150 to send someone out here to find out whats wrong with a service that doesn’t work yet your going to charge me $79.99 to flip a switch on a service that already doesn’t work? And you have the audacity to ask me why I’m canceling my service?”)
Within 4 hours of cancelling my service I have a MiFi unit on the way from Verizon. My wife and I have had their cellular service for over ten years now, and I know from first hand experience what to expect not only from their Customer Service but also from their technical support. Having worked on their towers I know how their coverage is as well. I feel confident in this choice.
I also feel confident in knowing I’m saving about $20 a month and I don’t have that 350 meg limit looming over my shoulder like a Gorilla.
So if any of you rural folks out there are considering going to a Satellite ISP, take some time and research some other opportunities first.
- The Birthday girl and her pink Cowgirl boots http://twitpic.com/3ar41e #
- He's puttin on a show ! @UTVolsFBall: #Vols WR Denarius Moore now ranks 9th on UT's career receiving yards list with 1,835 yards. #
- Can't touch them : Moore & Bray. Kentucky D all but mugging Stocker to keep him from the ball #
- Bray interception at the 5 a possible momentum killer #
- But the score speaks for itself @Andrew_Gribble: Vols are 0-for-3 on third downs. 'Cats are 4-for-8. #
- Rough game for UT and UK kickers in the wind #
- UK winning TOP battle but not the game. @wesruckerCTFP: Time of possession in the first half: Kentucky 21:21, Tennessee 8:39. Wow. #
- Amen @alysonbaxter: Let's do this boys… Time to remind the Wildcats that Lexington starts with an L. #Vols #
- Recall when UM was Cass's "sister school" ? @greggdoyelcbs: Michigan's punter can't punt. Its kicker can't kick. Receivers can't receive. #
- Gotta say: Derrick Dooley=DD=Daredevil. He's halfway across the field on bad calls everytime. Right in the refs zone #themanwithoutfear #
- Shoulda got Verizon! @steve_phillips_: No more game tweets. Lame phone/service not worth frustration. #
- Dooley for Player of the Game! #
- "@Rachel__Nichols: Broncos, McDaniels fined $50K each for secretly videotaping 49ers practice http://tinyurl.com/2c7lb86" #
- TOUCHDOWN TENNESSEE!!! Goooo VOLS! Its great! To be! A Tennessee Vol! #
- Stocker!! Just plowing guys! #
- Phone dying. This lack of home ISP is murder #damnyouhughesnet #
- Reports of artillery fire being reported by news groups in Korea via Twitter #
- More info incoming "@MelissaTweets: RT @W7VOA: Wall Street Journal's @evanramstad also in bunker on Yeonpyeong. #Koreas quot; #
- RT @JoeTheMailman: S. Korea orders residents of bombarded Yeonpyeong Island to shelters after reports of N. Korea missile deployment #
- Solid info @JoeTheMailman: Japan spots Chinese vessels near disputed islands http://reut.rs/hsoOZO" #
Powered by Twitter Tools
- Completely classless. @ChaseGoodbread: Cam dollars thrown @ Newton This is what the students threw: http://i.imgur.com/0lCij.jpg" #
- Hope Cam destroys them. @ClayTravisBGID: … PA played "Take the Money and Run" and "Son of a Preacher Man" when Cam Newton hit the field." #
- Sorry for lack of tweets today. Winter storm knocked out internet. Limited to droid power only #
- Just told HughesNet to take a massive flying leap. Hello Verizon MyFi #
- Alabam: Insults, jeers, boos, ridicule & general poor sportsman conduct. Auburn: Win football games. Enough said. #
- Beer thirty at Applebees! #
Powered by Twitter Tools
So HughesNet managed to really piss me off. My internet went out in the winter blast we had this past week.
My Dish came back. My Internet did not. After arguing with a guy who could not speak English I was told that a technician would call me in 3 to 5 days to set up a appointment and they would charge me $150 for the visit.
After I picked me jaw off the floor I cancelled the service.
So this the first time doing a full scale post with my Droid phone. I have signed up for the Verizon MiFi system. Will be a day or three until it gets here. Until then v00d3w has the helm.
Once I have internet again I’ll give a much more detailed telling of the debacle.
Meanwhile Happy Birthday today to my Critter!!
Posted from WordPress for Android
- It's 1950 all over again http://alturl.com/ero95 #
- An ally was viciously attacked. US Troopson station. President has known since 4 am. Yet What is he doing? http://nyti.ms/fv0Mm4 #
- Anyone wish to buy an Irish bank? http://bbc.in/hsQr39 #
- Cargo building at Logan Airport evacuated as officials investigate a suspicious package. Live: http://on.cnn.com/cnndcl3 #cnn #
- US Airways Flight 1525 searched in Denver, 2 men taken off plane – AP http://bit.ly/dOKDFZ #
- must…Stop….YAWNING! #
- Stop Loss Deadline Approaching – Dec 3 http://bit.ly/bcKa4I #
- Its 1600! I'm free! Free! Bwahahahahah! *ahem* This Tweet brought to you by Vacation Days from work #
Powered by Twitter Tools
I originally posted this back in 2004 at Techography. It’s short and sweet, like all Thanksgiving posts should be in my opinion. The time isn’t one for waxing eloquent, or long drawn out speeches. Its one for reflection. – BS
I could try to write something poetic. I could try to write something intriguing, in depth and hammering, tear jerking or maybe even emotional.
I’ll leave it to Doc Russia and the rest to write serious pieces.
Instead I’ll let someone else’s words fit the bill for me this Thanksgiving. Read the rest of this entry »
More after the Jump
Read the rest of this entry »
- Whats this "we" stuff kemosabe? http://alturl.com/nhure #
- Enron had better PR http://alturl.com/jnop7 h/t @govolsxtra #
- Pray this isn't so…the results could be exceptionally….bad http://alturl.com/sru9d #
- Anyone remember when people were outraged over the govt looking at library cards? Now we have TSA full body pat downs #
- Pay us now! ….err…wait..not really http://alturl.com/t4qu8 #
- Dublin's Financial aid program falls short http://alturl.com/s5jyo #
- Ireland & Hong Kong juxtaposition http://alturl.com/tjasw If Ireland falls, the Euro is further weakend: What then? #
- European shares & euro fell this afternoon Cost of borrowing for Ireland rose Markets reacted to increased political http://alturl.com/8saem #
- $13,789,699,194,529.33 (+) #nationaldebt #
- How free is your state? http://alturl.com/vkygp #
- RT @13WREX: Reports of a tornado that has touched down near Perryville and Riverside. (near Rockford, IL) #
- Confirmed #tornado just north of Harvard, IL (McHenry County)!! TAKE COVER NOW in Hebron and Richmond! http://wxch.nl/eltauX #ilwx #
- Possible #tornado now threatening Racine and Kenosha Counties in southeast WI. http://wxch.nl/eLwef5 #wiwx #
- Tornado photo courtesy @13WREX: http://twitpic.com/399hgf (near Rock Cut State Park, Caledonia, Illinois) #
- First Nov. #tornado in IL since 11/15/2005. Since 1990, only 6 other Nov. #tornado events in IL. Strongest:…F3 on 11/19/91. #ilwx #
Powered by Twitter Tools
I know most folks like to sit back and smoke their cigars.
I like to walk.
Was a nice brisk cool morning yesterday, great weather for my traveling companions: a Gurkha Cuban Legacy and Yukon Blend coffee with a shot of Jameson.
Here’s a little photo-essay attempt with some random thoughts.
Feel free to click any of the images for a bigger version. Enjoy the walk, sorry if my mind tends to venture in to strange places. its just the way I am.
- #FF @Lizzs_Lockeroom, @CynStorm, @ErickaAndersen, @CENTCOMNEWS, @FOTProgram, @bouhammer, @allahpundit, @adamsbaldwin, @Cyndi_Indy #
- FF# @CowboyAltitude @wesruckerCTFP @ninews @TSAgov @VetsPrevail @stephenesherman @MsLoveLee @MrSEC @USArmyAfrica @JFHQNCR_MDW @johnd1263 #
- FF# @NeptunusLex @centinello @NCAAFanHouse @MilitaryBenefit @wxchannel @secupp @ArmyGK @AnnaGDM @brabakr @Kudzu35 @kidbourbon @DVIDSHub #
- Very Sad. History treated like Tickle me Elmo. RT @ninews Titanic SOS ship artefacts for sale: http://bit.ly/cVrZSS #
- Scarborough suspended from MSNBC for political donations http://wapo.st/btRbGp #
- Why I major in Business: The Myth http://rhinoden.rangerup.com/nick-rant-veterans-make-great-entrepreneurs/ #
- Ok, folks. I'm out. Heading to Springfield Brewing Company to meet up with some old friends. We'll be the ones with the cigars. Peace! #
Powered by Twitter Tools